Thursday, November 1, 2012

Skipping Class


When the discussion of data came up in class, we had to come up with a survey related to education. So for my survey I decided to cover the topic of skipping class. I surveyed a handful of my friends from high school and current college students. The results yielded allowed me to create these graphs using Microsoft Excel:

The following is a brief explanation that I used in a survey report for another assignment: “…here we can see that guys are most likely to skip English class than any other class and that girls are more likely to skip science…”

Here I used the inner circle to represent the male respondents and the outer circle to represent the female respondents. The analysis: “…and more guys said that they wouldn’t skip class based on the given circumstances to skip. However, for the purposes of this survey we will include good weather as their main reason to skip class. The two main reasons for girls to skip a class would be on bad weather days or if they had a rough weekend.”

Finally, with the last graph, I commented, “Good to see that guys were typical and the main reason for not skipping class would be for a possible date. For the female respondents, their main reason for not skipping class is if the professor makes class fun.”

After looking over these graphs for a few minutes I made a few observations for current and future teachers from the survey results, “If your student is absent, and is a male, you’re an English teacher, there’s good weather that day, and nobody in class he’s crushing on…chances are he’s skipping. On the other hand, if your student is absent, and is a female, you’re a Science teacher and not very entertaining with some bad weather…chances are she’s skipping.”
I found this surveying to be interesting. I even decided to modify the original survey to collect more results on the subject of skipping class. Those results are still pending at this time, but be expecting them in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment